SEO Basics - Get a better rank on google.
SEO stands for search engine optimization - essentially how fast you can be put at the top of a search engine like google, yahoo, bing etc.
Below are the magic 7 to getting noticed online
Most websites use the same exact strategy.
- Understand How Google Works
- Perform Keyword Research
- Write Great Content
- Create Effective Metatags - Title Tags and Metatag Descriptions
- Create Internal Links Between Your Pages
- Build Backlinks (Links From Other Website Into Your Website)
- Track Your SEO Performance
Understand How Google Works
Google is a "library." It utilizes over 190 fields to decide which websites to put at the top, some of the factors would be:
- Age of domain (look up the age at https://lookup.icann.org/)
- Content amount (look at the amount of pages indexed by typing into Google - site:www.yourwebsite.com)
- Amount of credible backlinks (check at www.majestic.com)
- Engaging content (bounce or flight rate, amount of time spent)
- Content match to the searcher's query
- Freshness of content
What would people type into google to end up at my page?
Compare phrases to other phrases to spark ideas for new content. It will produce new results.
Trend keyword change: “Green > Environmental > Sustainability”
Perform Keyword Research
Keyword research can be very advantageous for your site. It can be used for:
- Discover the most popular keyword(s)
- Compare phrases
- Develop a content blueprint
- Answer inquiries for people
- Uncover emerging tendencies
Word Tracker: $27/Month will show
Content strategies will put you ahead of 99% of pages.
Google’s technology was started to help libraries; treat your website like a condensed topic focused book. If the page is about 12 things it will not succeed on any count of those 12 topics.
Write Great Content
Write sites that are "SEO-Magnets," able to attract views:
- Devise a content strategy and prioritize your writing (e.g. Phase I, Phase II)
- Organize your site categorically and in tiers (top level, second-level, third-level)
- Determine the purpose of each page
- Keep the focus of each page tight, single minded and concise
- write at least 300-500 words per page
Create Effective Metatags
Title tags help google to file the site; the metatag influences the click thru rate.
Title tags should be 50-60 characters in length (including spaces).
They should have primary keywords and phrases, and they need to be unique for each page.
Google reads the title tag and assigns importance to the keywords and phrases, from left to right, so put your most important keywords first.
Create Internal Links Between Your Pages
3-5 GOOD links will really boost your results on google.
It’s hard to see sites without backlinks do well.
Below are recommended for getting quality sites to link into your site:
- Create outstanding content and resources that other sites link to
- Get links from people that you have a relationship with in real life
- Never buy links - Google forbids this
- Get links from sites that have related content
- Track your backlinks by using Google search console or Majestic
Track Your SEO Performance
You can measure your SEO performance through:
- SERPS for your most popular keyword research
- Keyword saturation (measure through Google search console)
- Website traffic (measure through Google analytics)
- Phone calls and e-mails
- Free consultations
- word-of-mouth referrals
In the end if you're providing a lot of resources, people reference those resources you use internal backlinks and ensure more people are searching for content that you're writing. Shoot for 80% originality and you'll do great!
If you need help with SEO performance feel free to contact me and we will come up with a site plan that will get you visits.